BurlyCon is a federally recognized 501(c)(3) not-for-profit arts organization dedicated to providing education about Burlesque as an art form. Founded in 2008, the organization holds an annual educational and social convention in the Seattle area providing classes, workshops, social events and community development opportunities for Burlesque performers, fans, and aficionados. The organization is run by a 9-member volunteer Board Of Directors comprised of Burlesque entertainers, producers, and fans. The annual convention is produced by an international, 40-person, mostly volunteer Steering Committee.
It is the policy of BurlyCon to provide equal contractor opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status.
Submissions for the positions are open until January 15, 2020
Please submit resume, letter of interest, and any other supplementary documentation to email@example.com.
BurlyCon not only values diversity, we celebrate it. We welcome applicants from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, sex-industry workers and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community. Those that have similar and transferable skills are invited to apply even if their skills and backgrounds do not specifically match the job requirements. BurlyCon is an educational organization that is committed to the personal growth, educational advancement, and professional success of its constituents.
BurlyCon has Volunteer/Internship opportunities available in the following areas:
BurlyCon Merch Booth
Teardown and Clean Up
To apply for an Internship with BurlyCon, please email dir@BurlyCon.org with “INTERN” in the subject.
BurlyCon Director of Events
Reports to: Executive Director
- Oversee team of volunteers to ensure the timely creation of all convention social events within parameters of a budget.
- Guide and coordinate all aspects of the weekend events including the following tasks:
- Create or identify any theme or focus for the given year by April 1 in collaboration with the Director of Programming
- Review con feedback sheets from the previous year by February 15 to assess content that was highly valued
as well as those that were not, program subsequent year accordingly
- Construct a timeline for the year’s work by March 30, 2020
- Create a payment and reimbursement system for contractors that falls within the budget
- Manage creation and collection of contracts and W-9 paperwork from all contractors in advance of convention
- Create a schedule of events taking into consideration flow, tech, and space needs with the Director of Programming.
- Participate in key planning sessions including Program Editing and Board Meetings as requested
- Ensure preparation and submission of event descriptions in a timely fashion. Responsible for final editing of
printed program, program content on website, and digital application for all events.
- Ensure coordination of all event logistics with Logistics Lead (Sawyer)
- On Day of Event, be on site and on-call
- Oversee and coordinate Peer Reviews, Meet & Greet, Friday Dance plus additional events.
- Proficient in Internet and computer technologies, access to printer
- Proficient in Word and Excel
- Event Coordination & Logistics Experience
- Management Experience
- Has mobile phone and is reachable day and night.
- Available year-round, 5h/month plus availability during peak periods
- Direct and prompt communication, excellent follow-through
- Passion for BurlyCon’s mission
- Must be able to attend BurlyCon
This position will receive a small stipend, a shared hotel room, pass to convention and a travel stipend (if applicable).
BurlyCon Executive Assistant
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer & Executive Director
Job purpose: The Admin Assistant acts as the assistant to the Chief Operations Officer and Executive Director. The scope of tasks of the Executive Assistant for BurlyCon requires attention to detail,
volunteer management skills, logistical planning and, the ability to meet deadlines, all while working within the mission of the organization. This position requires an estimation of 15-20 hours per month.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Travel Coordinator for all staff, board, volunteers, and presenters.
- Assist COO with contracts for presenters, talent, subs, etc.
- Taking Meeting Notes and Posting them after all meetings.
- Duties assigned by ED and COO
Skills and specifications:
- Must be experienced with Excel and Word.
- Be organized, self-directed, motivated, and have impeccable attention to detail.
- Good a team player.
- Direct and prompt communication, excellent follow-through.
- Proficient in Internet and computer technologies
- Must be present all 4-5 days of BurlyCon for duties tbd
This position will receive a small stipend, a shared hotel room and a pass to BurlyCon.
We are also recruiting steering committee members. These are volunteer positions. Please sign up here.