BurlyCon is Burlesque Arts Education!
BurlyCon’s annual burlesque educational convention provides opportunities for education, professional growth, and in-person social networking for the burlesque community. Our aim is to further the current development and historical knowledge of this unique American art form, especially in light of burlesque’s resurgence worldwide. Activities are focused on the behind-the-scenes components of burlesque arts: building skills, deepening knowledge, and growing as a community.
BurlyCon’s Mission Statement:
“BurlyCon is a community-oriented, professional growth and educational organization for burlesque performers, fans, and aficionados. We conduct educational events to preserve, promote, and advance burlesque as a theatrical art form. We offer classes, workshops, panels, and other educational offerings that further professional skill and development. We are committed to supporting personal transformation through creative artistic expression in the burlesque arts.”
- By operating as a Not For Profit organization, we reach new audiences with educational activities and demonstrations.
- We produce events for Burlesque education, performance, networking, and peer-based skill development to support the performance community.
- We offer classes, workshops, panels, and other educational offerings that advance professional skill and development
- We recognize that Burlesque is a unique American performance art form championed by women, and in doing so, offers opportunities for womens’ self-expression in non-traditional environments.
- We are committed to supporting personal transformation through creative artistic expression in the Burlesque arts.
- Each event or theatrical production is a standalone piece of art as a whole
- We provide scholarship, work-study, volunteer, and internship opportunities for accessibility and community-building
- We support professional and theatrical opportunities for event attendees
“We value burlesque as a feminist, humanist, and unique American performance art form that has global influence and expression. We are committed to supporting the growth, health, and multicultural diversity of the international burlesque community. We seek to ensure affordability and accessibility of continuing education in our art form.”
- We value Burlesque as a feminist and humanist performance art form.
- We value Burlesque as a uniquely American art form that has global influence and expression.
- We value the Burlesque Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, NV as the repository of our historical archives, and the galvanizing force for the national Burlesque Community.
- We are committed to supporting the growth and health of the Burlesque community nationwide.
- We value opportunities for professional advancement and skill-building for those who chose to express themselves artistically through Burlesque.
- We value multicultural diversity and are committed to anti-racism. We continuously examine our structures and actions for racist and oppressive
- We value the educational process.
- We value each individual artists’ ability to express themselves through their own artistic expression
- We value community building and audience education.
- We believe in volunteerism as a tangible means of community involvement.
- We value a sense of humor, and the pursuit of joy in all our efforts. Ways and Means
- We create an annual educational convention that is community oriented and self-sustaining.
- We provide opportunities for people to develop and deepen their understanding of Burlesque as an art form, and offer professional skillbuilding for those who chose to express themselves artistically through Burlesque.
- We collaborate with others to build strong events.
- We collaborate with the Education Department of the Burlesque Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, NV
- We help new artists build connections in the community.
- The educators, students, volunteers, and staff all contribute ideas for the betterment of BurlyCon
- We produce events that are accessible to a wide range of audiences.